RTD Suspension Stability, Shelf Life and Ring Formation
Making Your Rich, Creamy Chocolate Milk Satisfying and Indulgent
With the Covid pandemic turning the spotlight to healthier functional drinks, chocolate-based beverages are gaining more market shares as consumers look for “pleasure” food and drinks known for their higher anti-oxidants and minerals.
Whether they are filled in cans, PET or glass bottles, developing shelf-stable formulas that involve cocoa solids need more work than usual.
Cocoa particles are heavy and sinks to the bottom, separated from the lighter liquids of milk and water.
Fatty milk globules coalesce and float to the top, showing a visually blemished surface layer of white, uneven spots when the cap is opened.
Once separation occurs, the beverage no longer presents the intended mouthfeel and textures.
In a usual chocolate milk beverage formulation process, you have your hydrocolloids component like carrageenan, MCC (microcrystalline cellulose) to create your cocoa and milk solids suspension at the viscosity you want.
To stabilize this uniform cocoa milk liquid suspension, a key component is the EMULSIFIER used.
Sucrose Fatty Acid Esters are an essential ingredient in most RTD milk beverages in Japan, including chocolate-based beverages.
Working in synergy with the polysaccharide hydrocolloid gel stabilizers, Ryoto Sugar Esters enhances the emulsion stability by
Reducing floating velocity of emulsion particle
Suppressing aggregation of emulsion particle
Inhibiting of resistant spore-type bacteria.
Use in Plant-Based Cocoa Beverages and Dairy Alternatives
Dairy alternative beverages are increasing in hype and popularity, in part due to widespread lactose intolerances in Asians. Consumers now have vast options of plant milks as this category grows with environment sustainability concerns.
Ryoto Sugar Esters are fully plant-sourced emulsifiers and are key to stabilizing dairy alternative beverages. By preventing fat globules from coalescing and forming a uniform dispersion of fine fatty microglobules throughout the suspension, a creamy texture of satiety effect can be obtained.
This creaminess protection helps to bridge the expectations of consumers for plant milks to taste like conventional cow-based chocolate milk.
Create The Best and Lasting Chocolate Taste In Your RTD Beverage Formulation
Ryoto Sugar Esters in RTD cans and PET bottles are your keys to
Preventing of sedimentation
Protecting the organoleptic sensorial quality
Prevent ring formation
Improving oil-in-water emulsion stability
Improving shelf-life with bacteriostatic action
Low-Sugar Chocolate Milk: A Delicious Evolution
Picture this: a cold glass of chocolate milk, just as sumptuous as you remember it, but without the guilt of excessive sugar. The low-sugar chocolate milk trend is not just a passing fad; it’s a flavorful transformation in the making, and it’s turning the heads of health-conscious consumers.
The Challenge of Formulation
Creating low-sugar chocolate milk that tastes as sweet and satisfying as its traditional counterpart comes with its own set of challenges. Sugar isn’t just a sweetener; it plays a vital role in the mouthfeel, richness, and overall quality of chocolate milk. Here are the key obstacles:
- Texture Expertise: Sugar contributes to the creamy, velvety texture of chocolate milk. Without it, achieving the perfect consistency becomes a science that demands mastery.
- Flavor Brilliance: Sugar not only sweetens but enhances the rich, chocolatey flavor. Removing it can lead to flat or overly artificial-tasting chocolate milk. Finding the right sweetener replacements is your mission.
- Sweetness without Sacrifice: The balance between sweetness and health is a tightrope walk. The challenge lies in sourcing natural sweetener replacements that maintain the delightful taste without compromising on nutrition.
The Marvel of Stevia: A Natural Sweetener Replacement
Enter stevia, the hero of the low-sugar chocolate milk revolution. Stevia is a natural, plant-based sweetener that’s changing the game for health-conscious consumers and the chocolate milk industry:
- Natural Sweetness: Stevia offers a natural sweetness that can match sugar, without the added calories and blood sugar spikes. It lets you preserve the sweet taste you love.
- Calorie Consciousness: For those watching their calorie intake, stevia is a dream come true. It delivers the sweetness without the calorie burden, aligning perfectly with dietary goals.
- Clean Label Confidence: Stevia is a natural ingredient, meeting the demand for clean label products with ease.
- Stability and Consistency: Stevia helps maintain the stability and consistency of your low-sugar chocolate milk, ensuring it remains as delightful as the first sip.
Join the Low-Sugar Chocolate Milk Movement
The trend of formulating low-sugar chocolate milk is not just a culinary evolution; it’s a commitment to the well-being of consumers who cherish this timeless treat. Embrace the challenges with the innovative use of natural sweetener replacements like stevia to create chocolate milk that caters to the discerning palates of health-conscious individuals. Your dedication to both flavor and health will redefine the chocolate milk experience and make it sweeter than ever, in every sense of the word. Join the movement and rediscover the joy of chocolate milk with a refreshing, low-sugar twist.